I’ve always thought it was too much work to make brownies from scratch because melting chocolate seemed like an extra step that could go wrong and add extra pots and bowls to wash. But after finding this recipe, I love how it skips all that, yet has the same chewy yet fudgy box brownies result. I usually use Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate box brownies, but after they were sold out at Costco, I went searching for a recipe and was so happy this one still gives you that crinkly, box brownie taste.
EASY BOX BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH
Recipe tested 🧡 11/2020
- 1 cup granulated sugar*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F** Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish
2. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients- 1c sugar, 3/4 flour, 2/3 cocoa powder, 1/2 powdered sugar, 1/2 chocolate chips, and 3/4 tsp salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients- 2 eggs, 1/2 c olive oil, 2 Tbsp water, and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
3. Sprinkle the dry mix over the wet mix and stir until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth the top. (I like to make mini brownie cupcakes then it’s easy to share and eat. Reduce time if you do that)
5. Bake for 40 to 48 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs attached. I prefer to undertake the brownies than to leave them in too long, as they will still continue to cook a little, and better gooey brownies than dry ones!