Sunday, January 20, 2019

event: TAIPEI DANGDAI INTERNATIONAL ART SHOW 2019



Hello you guys! It feels sort of strange to be typing on a laptop instead of trying to peck out letters on my iPhone, but it feels good. You know how January resolutions go, you cross your fingers and hope that it sticks at least for the first month. So here come some new posts for the few of you guys still reading, as long as my hardware and software cooperate with me! 

Wanted to share some of my fave pieces from the Taipei Dangdai (January 18-20, 2019) with you guys in case some of you wanted to catch it on its last day (Sunday, January 20, today!). Tickets at the door are NT$700. Kids under 12 are free and seniors/students/disabled are NT$400. There's some food and drinks in a mini bar in the back corner by Gastrojoy. 

I usually miss these sort of things because the word doesn't spread far enough, but luckily I had a few friends with an extra pass and they invited me along on Friday (yay for cultured friends). It's much less intimidating to walk around a show than into individual galleries, which most of us not in the art scene rarely do.

With pieces from Japan, Korea, Singapore, Europe, NY, and of course, Taipei, It's the first year for this size of an international art show it seems,  or one poised to become a "global contender." Co-founder Magnus Renfrew brings his experience from Art HK which turned into the extremely popular Art Basel in Hong Kong, and is also the co-founder of the shiny and new Art SG for Singapore. 

Walking around Taipei Dangdai, there were definitely a lot of international art galleries and art dealers in the house. Whenever there are THAT many new people in town for an event, I always wonder, where are _they_ eating in Taipei and did they come across my blog? lol!

So, anyways, here is a small glimpse from the Nangang Exhibition Hall. I'm sorry I didn't catch all the names, until walking around halfway I realized I should take notes. There's quite a lot to take in and fun to wander and gaze and admire and see which ones spark joy. 

Going to try to type up a few more posts while the words are flowing!

can't escape baby shark, THE song of 2018

Dawn Ng

absolutes or shades of gray?


There should be places to sleep (2018) Liam Gillick 

Untitled #TK-98 (2018) Mit Jai Inn

Neither Day or Night (2011) Jules de Balincourt
close up. if i had the luxury to buy one painting, this would be it.
Laura 11 (2018) Alex Katz 




Blue Mountain (2018) Wang Gongyi

Green Eye (2018) Satoshi Ohno

Plastic Stone (2017-2018) Mariko Mori

This one is definitely more captivating in person. Each side is a different color/shape, one is reflective, one is translucent, the way a bubble is iridescent and catches the light.  

Diaphanous (2018) Yu Yasuda

This was probably my second favorite. This is similar to something I would want to paint for myself.  It makes me feel peaceful, as if I was on Antarctica or somewhere remote. BTW- I had to google "diaphanous" and it means (especially of fabric) light, delicate and translucent. you're welcome!

the edges of the painting.. otherwise it's just a poster. 

The Street (2017) Mingjun Kim

wings made of cleavers


Save the date!





2 comments:

Luxx Press said...

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing..





www.luxxpress.com
las vegas to los angeles bus

Anonymous said...

Yay! A new post! Please post more often!

:)