Monday, April 11, 2011

hungryintaipei restaurant roundup- april 2011: philly cheesesteaks and mexican food in taipei?!

I'm always spotting new openings and closings of places and sometimes I talk about it on Twitter or Facebook, but for a more permanent place, I'm going to try and do a monthly summary here on the blog. Some places I've tried and will be writing up soon, others I've just spotted or heard about. Everyone is welcome to add in the comments section- I can't be everywhere at once! :)
  • Philly cheesesteaks in Taipei? What is the world coming to? First, it seems like a Mexican restaurant wave is hitting Taipei and now I find this out. You know I'm going to go check this out! Who's eaten at Cheese David?
  • Speaking of Mexican food- tried tiny hole in the wall Taco2Go (opened last November) in Gongguan, near Taiyi Milk King Shaved Ice. If you thought Macho Tacos was small, you haven't seen Taco2Go.
  • Went to the soft opening of Mayan Grill, a new Mexican sit-down restaurant near Ambassador Hotel (write up coming soon). Timing might be good with the closings of El Gallo, Yuma Southwestern Grill and La Casita this past year, if they can make the menu work.
  • Heard there will be a new branch of Eddy's Cantina in Tianmu opening soon, in the old Sababa location. Does that mean all the Sababas are slowly closing down?
  • Spotted a new branch of Evan's Burger next to Parents Restaurant, near Zhongxiao/Dunhua. When is it opening?
  • Cubanos was bought out and being revamped. When I went in December, I was told that cuban sandwiches will still be on the new restaurant's menu, but the new place will serve pastas and a broader menu. We'll see if that turns out to be true.
  • One of the co-founders of Oola has opened up Fresh Greens, a salads and paninis cafe in Neihu (note to Fresh Greens- please put your address in English on your FB page and on your website!) I guess Neihu is springing up a bunch of these cafes ( Journey Kaffe anyone?) so someone open one in the Xinyi District!
  • Spotted Hello Kitty Sweets cakes and desserts at Fuxing Sogo's food court. I'm finally tried the restaurant last week.
  • Lawry's has moved from its Living Mall location to the Xinyi district, in the building across from Neo 19.
  • Also nearby is Spanish restaurant DN Innovacion
  • Macaroni Grill has closed its Neo 19 location and will reopen in the old Traders Vic's location on Minsheng E. Rd, in the Ruth Chris/McD's building. Will you follow Mac Grill to their new location?
  • Ton Sushi also closed their Neo 19 location so only their Bellavita location remains.


As you can see, I've been eating faster than I can blog, but wanted to put some of the news out there in case a place shuts down before I've had a chance to write about it. (I have a few of those posts in my drafts folder). I know there's more out there, so consider this list a work in progress!

If you like this new experiment or find this useful, please leave me a hello in the comments section! Muchas gracias!

:)