I’m finishing the last of this cake and realized that I didn’t post the recipe here yet. (Amazingly, it’s still moist and delish even a few weeks later.) After posting on IG, I realized that the version I used from addapinch blog is a very close variation of Ina Garten and Hershey’s chocolate cake recipes. The hot coffee is definitely the secret ingredient that you cannot miss and I made a sour cream cream cheese frosting instead of chocolate. Will definitely make again. Enjoy!
Easy Best Chocolate cake
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk or buttermilk, almond, or coconut milk
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water + 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 176 C / 350º F
- Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by lining bottom with oven paper or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add 2 cup flour, 2 cup sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1.5 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt to a large bowl. Mix dry ingredients.
- Add 1 cup milk (I added a little lemon for buttermilk substitute), 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and 2 teaspoons vanilla to dry ingredients and mix together on medium speed until well combined.
- Slowly add 1 cup boiling water+ coffee on low speed until well combined. It will be runny/on the thin side, and that’s ok.
- Split cake batter evenly between the two lined round cake pans, or one large pan for sheet cake. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or chopstick inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean. If you make cupcakes, check cupcakes around 20-25 min and scoop with ice cream scooper.
FOR THE SOUR CREAM FROSTING:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Stir until creamy and combined. Will be less firm than cream cheese frosting at room temperature.
Post a Comment