Saturday, February 21, 2009

dessert/hotel: i recommend CHEESECAKES from HOWARD PLAZA



CHAMPS ELYSEES
at HOWARD PLAZA HOTEL
160, Ren Ai Road, Sec 3
(02) 2700-2323

website: taipei.howard-hotels.com

$$

Kid friendliness: mmm cheesecake

Visit reviewed: 1/7/2009

I had lunch with family friends at the Chinese restaurant upstairs and decided to check out their cakes on the way out. In the lobby on the first floor, they sell whole cakes, but on the second floor near Champs Elysees, you can buy cakes by the slice. They have chocolate and tiramisu and other cakes, but I was drawn to the cheesecakes.

I couldn't decide between the NY style looking cheesecake and the blueberry topped cheesecake, so I decided to get both to go. I liked the firmer, more traditional NY style cheesecake (as the hostess had recommended) rather than the softer sweeter blueberry cheesecake. A lot better.



Wasn't crazy about the blueberrry's crust too, though it looked promising. My favorite cheesecake in Taipei is probably still the blueberry cheesecake at 85 Degrees C. But I have to give Howard Hotel credit for making a decent cheesecake that wasn't too light or too dense or Asia-fied like some of the more sponge cake type cheesecakes that you'd find here.


View Larger Map

3 comments:

EatTravelEat said...

The cheesecake looks delicious but not ultra rich either! I like this. Mmm...

Pauline said...

mMmMm!! i LOVE cheesecake! it looks soo good!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the cheesecake at Ruth's Chris Steak House? The best in my opinion. If you don't want to drop the $1200 on a steak, just go and grab a cheesecake to go. It's worth it.

:)