Wednesday, February 20, 2008

revisited/american: i recommend CHEERS

at Grand Hyatt Taipei
2 Sungshou RD, 1st FL
(02) 2720-1234


hours: 11:30am - 1:00am (Sun-Thu), 11:30am - 2:00am (Fri-Sat)
Salad Bar Lunch from 11:30am - 2:00pm,
A La Carte Menu from 11:30am – 9:30pm


Kid friendliness: much more kid friendly with revamped decor. Previously too smoky and more like a pub- now more like a lounge/cafe- though smoking is still allowed.

Visit reviewed: 11/11/2007
Old review: 7/14/2005

I'm sad to say that a lot of my favorites from Cheers from a few years ago (the steak sandwich with sundried tomatoes and taquitos) are now non-existent now that they have revamped everything (sometime in 2006) from their menu to the atmosphere to be "contemporary yet classic” and multicultural.

But the food is still fresh with a wide range of good eats that are above most Taipei hotel eateries. Menu is in English and Chinese and service is good.

The space feels a lot lighter, airy and less bar/lounge than before. Still great for business meetings, or a relaxed lunch.

They have a daily set lunch menu (around NT$500-600) that includes their salad bar, soup and dessert. Their salad bar is a small array of cold and hot appetizers and salad. Their daily soup (I think it was pumpkin) was okay.

I really enjoyed the tuna sandwich (though I'm not sure if it replaces their steak sandwich that I liked so much. They do still have a steak sandwich, but I haven't tried it yet. It is a variation of their old version.) I requested that they put it on another bread rather than rye, and I was happy with the result. It didn't have too much mayo and it was the right size with a side of steak fries. I think my friend got the burger with fried egg which he polished off.

I wanted to get the other dessert, but they had run out, so we got a pear tart instead. It looks better than it tasted, since I think I expected it to be a bit sweeter or more carmelized, and the crusty was more soggy than crispy/flaky. But it overall it was a decent meal. I'll have to try the other offerings some other time or look forward to hearing what other's experiences were like.


Emily said...

We had actually gone here especially for the steak sandwiches (after reading your older review), and were sorely disappointed to find that they didn't have them anymore! I thought the food here was good, but maybe not so great that I'd go any more than once or twice.

abstractpoet said...

I actually ordered the new steak sandwich, which isn't really a steak sandwich at all, but more of a beef stew sandwich. It was pretty good, especially if you're a fan of beef stew (which I am), but I was still kind of bummed to not get to try the original.

We should make a date to hit up either Flavor or Olala, since you haven't tried those yet!

joanh said...

hey emily and abstractpoet: thanks for the update on the new steak sandwich.. yeah.. it will be missed!! maybe we can petition to bring it back.. :) yes, so a recommend but not a strong recommend from me now.

Jean said...

burgers and fried egg! it's like the counter.. which i finally just went to :) mmm...


Blog Widget by LinkWithin